HURRICANE® Submersible Mixer
Reliable Wide-Area Aeration
The HURRICANE® Submersible Aerator/Mixer offers unmatched ruggedness, quality and serviceability. This 360° radially mixing system incorporates new, unique air diffusers designed for high oxygenating efficiency and thorough mixing over a wide area. (Learn more about our full line of aerators and aeration equipment.)
The HURRICANE® Aerator’s updated design simplifies assembly with fewer parts and increases performance life with only one moving mechanism. The system is totally self-contained for inexpensive installation, requiring no additional pumps, mounting platforms or compressors. Its unique self-aspirating design also eliminates the need for an external blower in most applications. Instead, the rotating impeller draws atmospheric air into the inlet piping where it is combined and mixed with the water and expelled at high velocity.
Self-aspirating down to 24 feet below the surface, the HURRICANE® Aerator delivers high oxygen transfer rates and considerable energy savings. The HURRICANE® Aerator operates at greater depths with blower assist. Specially designed impellers allow operation as mixer and aerator/mixer simply by valving off the air inlet pipe or by changing water depth in basin – perfect for SBR applications.
RWL Water manufactures the entire impeller and stator from one-piece 17-4 stainless steel with each hardened to Rockwell 45C. This gives the non-fouling, high-efficiency impeller and stator greater abrasion resistance. Positioned within the stator, the impeller is balanced for minimal vibration and maximum chopping action to crush solids. The stator is also replaceable without replacing the entire aerator assembly, making upgrades simple.
With 14 model sizes ranging from 5 to 100 horsepower (3.73-75kw), the HURRICANE® Aerator/Mixer fits multiple applications. You can also choose fixed or removable mounting options. The aerator base features large, extended legs for stable wide radius support. These adjustable legs make it easy to level the equipment on most basin floors, and their vibration-dampening feet help prevent “walking”.
In addition, the HURRICANE® Aerator/Mixer features:
- Corrosion- and UV-resistant stainless steel construction throughout
- Stainless steel air inlet piping
- Factory testing for quality assurance
- One moving part
- No additional pumps, mounting platforms or compressors are required
- 14 model sizes; tubes adapt to rectangular or circular basins and provide uniform air distribution for full-floor coverage
- Interchangeable components allow you to change horsepower (kw) within specified ranges by simply changing the motor and impeller
- Unit allows operation as mixer and aerator/mixer simply by valving off the air inlet pipe or by changing water depth in basin
- Customized air diffuser tubes for most efficient aeration mixing
- Adaptability for rectangular or circular basins
- Uniform air distribution for full-floor coverage
- Diffuser tubes adapt to rectangular or circular basins and provide uniform air distribution for full-floor coverage
HURRICANE® – How It Works
The HURRICANE® aerator is designed with a minimum of moving parts for reliable oxygen transfer and basin mixing. Deployed at the bottom of a tank or basin, the integrated submersible electric motor rotates a solid 17-4 stainless steel impeller to generate a low-pressure zone around the impeller blade tips.
The pressure differential created between this low-pressure zone at the bottom of the tank and the air at the wastewater’s surface forces air down a stainless steel inlet tube into the HURRICANE® aerators central stator assembly. The close tolerance of the impeller and stator assembly is used to macerate grit and other solids in the wastewater, making the HURRICANE® aerator ideal in high solids environments.
In the stator, surface air and water are thoroughly mixed through the rotation of the impeller and the turbulence it creates. High oxygen transfer also occurs in the stator assembly due to the break-up of air into very small bubbles. The high surface area to volume ratio of these small bubbles promotes high oxygen transfer into the wastewater, which is further enhanced by the high distortion of these bubble surfaces by the turbulence of the stator.
The oxygen enriched air water combination is expelled at high velocity from the central stator assembly through radial diffuser tubes to deliver oxygen throughout the basin floor. As the air bubbles rise from the bottom of the tank due to buoyancy force, further oxygen transfer takes place until the bubble release pattern in the tank thoroughly mix the tank with intense agitation.
The completely submerged operation of the HURRICANE® aerator eliminates splashing, minimizes the generation of hazardous aerosols and promotes stable biological treatment even in the coldest climates.
HURRICANE® – Applications
- Aerobic Digesters
- Sludge Holding Tanks
- Activated Sludge
- Flow Equalization Tanks
- Post Aeration Systems
- Sequencing Batch Reactors (SBR)
- Municipal Wastewater Treatment
- Wine And Beverage Manufacturing
- Dairy Production
- Food And Meat Processing Plants
Hurricane Submersible Aerator Case Studies
- Submersible Hurricane Aerators replaced fixed-mounted, low-speed aerators in the aeration basin of the Jacksonville Naval Air Station Wastewater Treatment Plant, which treats flows up to 3 MGD. Learn more about this case study.
- The 40 HP Hurricane Aerator was chosen by the City of Murfreesboro, Tennessee to be installed in the 19-foot-deep post-aeration basin. Learn more about this case study.