Reverse Osmosis Effluent Desalination System in Beer Sheva, Israel

Reverse Osmosis Effluent Desalination System
City: Beer Sheva
Country: Israel
Solution Type: Water Treatment
Technology Used: Reverse Osmosis Effluent Desalination
Client: Makteshim Chemical Works

Download PDF Here

Challenge

Makteshim Chemical Works, part of the Makteshim Agan Group, produces chemicals for use in agriculture and plant protection. The factory wanted to reuse its treated effluent within the plant instead of sending it to evaporation ponds.

Solution

Together with scientists from Ben Gurion University and Makteshim engineers, RWL Water developed a complete reverse osmosis (RO) effluent desalination system, which receives the treated effluent after MBR biological treatment. The system delivers high quality water for use in the factory’s cooling towers—allowing the reuse of up to 2,400 cubic meters of water per day.

System Description

  • pH adjustment
  • Oxidation
  • Mechanical pre-filtration
  • Coagulation
  • Automatic multimedia filtration
  • Cartridge filtration
  • Reverse osmosis with energy recovery
  • Clean-in-place (CIP) unit for RO membranes

The reuse of up to 2,400 m3 of recycled water per day will eliminate the need to establish two new evaporation ponds out of the five planned and has already saved the factory an estimated $12 million. An estimated 90% of the desalinated water will be recycled for reuse, reducing the amount of water the plant purchases from Mekorot, Israel’s national water company. The remaining 10% will be used for irrigation, with the approval of the Ministry of Health.